Posted July 1, 2016
P.S. 108Q is looking for a music teacher with a focus on a choral program for the elementary school level. Piano proficiency / experience is beneficial. Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or call the school at 718-558-2700
Posted May 20, 2016
The Nightingale-Bamford School seeks a part-time Lower School music teacher to begin in September 2016.
Responsibilities will include the teaching general music to students in grades K-4. Classroom instruction should employ the Orff and Kodaly approaches, as well as grade-wide choral singing and recorder instruction in grades 3 and 4. This teacher will work in close collaboration with the returning Lower School music teacher to create a cohesive, robust and dynamic K-4th grade music and movement program.
The ideal candidate will possess training in the Orff and Kodaly approaches to music education, have a Master’s degree in a related field, and have three to five years of classroom teaching experience.
Apply by clicking on the link: https://nightingalebamford.applytojob.com/apply/gXoSBo/Part-Time-Lower-School-Music-Teacher?source=MEANYC
Posted April 18, 2016
DOUBLE BASS TEACHER
Collegiate School, New York, NY
COLLEGIATE SCHOOL is a K-12 boys school of approximately 640 students located on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. Founded in 1628, it has maintained a reputation of excellence in boys' education and is particularly known for the strength of its academic programs, for the warmth of its community, and for the loyalty of its students and alumni.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Beginning September 2016, we are seeking a versatile and dynamic Bass teacher to work with our middle and high school boys. Candidates should understand and have experience in setting up beginners on the instrument, and be enthusiastic about working as part of a team in an independent school setting. Students at Collegiate are required to play a string instrument in the 5th and 6th grades and are encouraged to continue into the higher grades. The Bass teacher is also responsible for playing with the Upper School orchestra, running sectionals with the older boys, playing several performances a year, and for writing individual student assessments. Being able to write arrangements is a plus. This position is part time, and in addition, there is the potential for private lesson teaching.
QUALIFICATIONS: Candidate should hold a bachelor’s degree in music, or music education; a master’s degree is preferred. A minimum of three to five years teaching experience is required, preferably in an independent school setting. Teaching certification is not required.
CLASS SCHEDULE: Classes, on average, meet for fifty minutes. There are two to four classes per day totaling approximately sixteen classes a week. The school operates on a two week rotation schedule so classes in Week 1 and in Week 2 do not meet at the same time every week. The projected schedule is available upon request.
SALARY is commensurate with experience.
INTERESTED CANDIDATES should submit a resume and a letter of intent describing their experience and their interest in the position. Please e-mail your application materials or questions to: DSorel@collegiateschool.org. Regular mail can be sent to: Donald Sorel / Music Department / Collegiate School / 260 W. 78th Street/ New York, New York 10024.
Posted April 12, 2016
1. Gateway School on Upper West Side seeks Music/Theater Teacher (part-time) for the 2016-2017 School Year. See attached flyer for more information.
2. Maternity Sub Position for NYCDOE certified sub. Term will be from mid-May through June 2016 at PS 51 Elias Howe Elementary in Hell's Kitchen (West 44th st and 10th ave). Will be responsible for teaching PreK-5 weekly classes. Will need to prepare PreK, K and 5th grade students for graduation/moving up ceremonies. Must be able to play piano and teach recorder. Orff Schulwerk training a plus. Send resume/inquiries to Katie Traxler at email@example.com.
3. THE BREARLEY SCHOOL (2 openings)- Independent, college-preparatory day school for 706 girls, K-12, seeks for September, 2016:
Music Teacher (K-4) Part-time:
Responsibilities will include the teaching of Music to students in grades K-IV. Classroom instruction and group conducting.
Qualifications:~ Master's degree preferred. Three to five years of experience teaching. Strong interpersonal and organizational skills are required, as are piano skills. Kodaly and Orff training are a must.
Violin Teacher (Grade 2-12) Adjunct position:
Responsibilities will include the teaching of violin students in grades 2-12. Classroom instruction (grades 3-8) and group coaching for Middle and Upper School Orchestras.
Qualifications:~ Master's degree preferred. Three to five years of experience teaching. Strong interpersonal and organizational skills are required. Kodaly training and piano skills are greatly appreciated.
Please submit cover letter and résumé to Registrar@brearley.org or by mail to Registrar, The Brearley School, 610 East 83rd Street, New York, NY 10028. No phone calls please.
4. Director of Children’s Choirs at St. Michael’s Episcopal Church, New York City
St. Michael's Episcopal Church is seeking a talented and energetic Director of Children’s Choirs for its vibrant and diverse choral program. The director is responsible for the musical direction and education of the children’s choral ensembles and will work closely with the St. Michael's clergy and lay leadership, parents, and community members on programming, community outreach, and Christian formation.
The children’s choir program at St. Michael’s is a vital component of our music ministry. Currently the Angel Choir (K – 3rd grade), the St. Cecilia Choir (4th – 7th grade), and the High School Choir (8th – 12th grade) sing a wide variety of repertoire, with choral training methods drawn from both the RSCM and Kodály. The primary purpose of the choirs is to praise God, to support the worship of the church, and to form our children and youth in the Christian faith. The children’s choir director offers teaching and training in proper choral technique and works to foster a love of music in participants and a sense of belonging to the St. Michael’s community. A key responsibility of the director is to expand the outreach of this ministry to the children and youth in the St. Michael's neighborhood and community.
The Director of Children’s Choirs is a half-time position (i.e., avg. 20 hours a week), with seasonal variability. The director reports to the Director of Music for supervision, and works closely with the Rector, who has ultimate responsibility for program and ministry. The director also collaborates and coordinates the work of this ministry with other staff and colleagues, in particular the Director of Children’s and Youth Ministries.
Conducting regular rehearsals with all of the children’s and youth choirs
Directing choirs at 10:00 am Sunday services and other special services and events, e.g., the annual Christmas pageant
Recruiting and musical education of choristers
Regular communication with parents and the congregation as a whole
A degree in music with an emphasis in choral work (minimum B.A. or B.Mus.)
Experience working in music with children of all ages
Excellent verbal, written, and organizational skills
Demonstrated ability and willingness to collaborate with other staff members
An appreciation for liturgy, a knowledge of artful church music from a wide variety of traditions, and an eagerness to further the mission and ministry of the church
A flexible and creative approach with a sense of humor
Graduate work and training in choral conducting
Strong vocal performance skills
Organ and/or keyboard skills
Training and experience in RSCM and Kodály programs
Anglican/Episcopal liturgical experience
St Michael’s seeks and welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds. Applicants should submit a letter and resume to John Cantrell, Director of Music at firstname.lastname@example.org by April 30, 2016.
5. The International HS @ Prospect Hts. Anticipated Teaching Vacancies
2016 – 2017: Choral Music
The International HS @ Prospect Heights (IHSPH) is looking for a NYS licensed teachers in Choral Music to join our staff. Our small school is designed exclusively to serve the needs of recent immigrant English Language Learners. Upon arriving at our school, students have been in the country anywhere from one day up to four years.
Our ideal candidate will have an interest and capacity to build a Choral Music program that integrates music with the other disciplines. Our students come from all over the world; therefore, it is essential that the teacher have the willingness to explore the possibilities in incorporating musical traditions and trends relevant to our diverse students.
If you would like to apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Posted January 18, 2016
TIME SENSITIVE! Core/Beginner Band Substitute Teacher Needed
A Core Music/Beginner Band teacher is needed to substitute during a 6-10 week maternity leave starting the beginning-middle of May at PS 149, The Christa McAuliffe School, in Jackson Heights, Queens. Responsibilities include core music classes for 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th grades (recorder skills would be a bonus), in-school instrument lessons for the students in the concert band (flute, clarinet, saxophone, French horn, trumpet/baritone, trombone and percussion) and running after-school rehearsals on Tuesdays from 2:20-4:20pm for the beginner concert band (paid for in part by the Goodwill Beacon after school program so you would need to temporarily become a Beacon employee). This teacher will also be expected to conduct the concert band during Family Night, May 12th, a Beacon Expo in the evening in mid-June and possibly an evening concert in May.
Please send your resume to Chris Halkias at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted December 8, 2015
The Conservatory of Music at Brooklyn College is in need of retired music supervisors/teachers to observe student teachers in the Spring 2016 semester. If anyone is available, and has had experience formally observing in the classroom, please contact
Coordinator Music Education, Brooklyn College
Posted November 21, 2015
MUSIC SUBSTITUTE NEEDED
Substitute Music/Movement Teacher needed.
Pre-K through 3rd Grade. (MT 8:30am-4:10pm; WThF 8:30am-2:50pm)
Upper West Side, Manhattan.
Tuesday, December 1st through Wednesday, December 23rd.
(or any full week: 12/1—12/4; 12/7—12/11; 12/14—12/18; and/or 12/21—12/23
I will be having surgery to repair the ACL in my left knee and need a music/movement teacher to cover my classes for me. We need someone who is trained in ORFF, KODALY and/or DALCROZE. I will provide lesson plans that will be written with your particular strengths in mind, but which will need to cover certain songs and content to help prepare the students for their performances in the new year.
If you are available and interested, please email or mail a resume and a cover letter to Joanna Freedman, Assistant Principal, PS 9 .
Please include your current and active Department of Education substitute ID number. You cannot be hired without this.
To: Ms. Joanna Freedman, Assistant Principal, PS 9
100 West 84th Street
New York, NY 10024
You may also cc. me. Please put “MUSIC SUBSTITUTE” in the memo section.
Deborah Kramer, PS 9
Posted November 4, 2015
ArtsConnection has a need for a teaching artist to work in the Bronx at PS 14. The school wants a recorder program in-school for four 3rd grade classes – followed by an after school (2:30-4:30) music program focused on teaching clarinet. The school and the students are terrific. They can schedule the person any day except Friday.
Director of Professional
Posted October 18, 2015
JOB OPPORTUNITY! IMMEDIATE!
Brooklyn Conservatory of Music is looking for two violin instructors to work with second grade beginners at their program at P.S. 230K
STARTING THIS TUESDAY OCT. 20TH!!
Contact Dorothy Savitch email@example.com 718-622-3300 x221
Posted August 5, 2015
BROOKLYN PROSPECT MIDDLE SCHOOL MUSICAL THEATRE PROGRAM
2015-16 STUDENT TEACHING/INTERNSHIP
Brooklyn Prospect Charter School is seeking a talented and enthusiastic Student Teacher or Teaching Intern/Accompanist for our Windsor Terrace Middle School Musical Theatre Program. Read more...
Posted July 31, 2015
MUSIC TEACHER – UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS HIGH SCHOOL
Long Island city HS is looking for a string teacher. Looking for someone to work with a well established string program and help it move forward into the future.
Email resumes to Ms. Selenikas at Vseleni@schools.nyc.gov
Posted December 9, 2014
MUSIC TEACHER – UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS HIGH SCHOOL
HAZEL JOSEPH-ROSEBORO, PRINCIPAL
COLIN POHL, MUSIC TEACHER
We need a dedicated music teacher for a part-time position (2-3 days a week) at University Heights High School in the South Bronx. For more information, click here.
Posted October 14, 2014
1. Brooklyn Queens Conservatory of Music — Excellent public school in the Marble Hill section of the Bronx seeks full time music instructor to teach early childhood music and chorus. Opportunity to develop instrumental program as well. Spanish speaker a plus. This is not a Dept. of Education position, but certification is required. For more information please contact the principal, Beverly Pascal-Miller, at 718-584-6764. www.bqcm.org
2. NYCDOE P.S. 200 The Benson School in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn: Maternity Leave — A Core Music/Beginner Band teacher is needed to substitute during a 6-12 week maternity leave starting mid-November at P.S. 200 The Benson School in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn. Responsibilities include core music classes for Kindergarten, 4th and 5th grades; teaching the Carnegie Hall Link Up Recorder Program to 3rd grade; and running in-school rehearsals for the beginner 4th grade band, advanced 5th grade band, and 5th grade jazz band. This teacher will also be expected to conduct the 5th grade band and jazz band during the December Holiday concert which is typically held the second to last week of December in the morning (during school hours). Please contact Kelly Perez at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for more information.
3. North Bellmore, NY Job Opening: (music teaching certification and fingerprint clearing a must) Part-time vocal music leave replacement beginning in January for K-6 general music classes and 5th & 6th Grade Chorus. Other responsibilities include a 'Select' Choral Group and 4th Grade Recorder Club that rehearse during the school day. The position includes rehearsing and performing for the school's Choral Spring Concert. Orff Experience a plus. Please send resumes by October 16th to Mimi Fernandez at firstname.lastname@example.org, or to Human Resources, North Bellmore U.F.S.D, 2616 Martin Avenue, Bellmore, NY 11710.
Posted October 8, 2014
Collegiate School in Manhattan has an opening for a sabbatical leave replacement for Head of the Music Department during the second semester. Read more here.
Posted October 8, 2014
New Heights Middle School in Brooklyn has a full time vacancy in instrumental music. Read more here.
Posted September 10, 2014
Washington Heights and Inwood (WHIN) Music Project in New York City
There are several paid teaching positions at the WHIN organization (www.whinmusicproject.org) that they are looking to fill immediately with Orff and choral teachers.
1. Elementary School in the Bronx (Whitestone), after-school program (Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3-5pm) for 1-2nd grade students. Music teachers with experience in choral instruction and Orff. Group classes for about 10-15 students. Starting date: mid-September.
2. Elementary School in Washington Heights, in-school program (6 classes on Tuesday, back to back) for K-1 grade students. Music teachers with experience with Orff instruments. Classes will be of about 25 students each and there will be another certified teacher in the room to assist with the classes. Starting date: mid-September
3. Middle School in Washington Heights, in-school music classes for 7-8th graders (6 classes on a single day). Group classes for about 25-30 students. Choral instructor with experience in percussion instruments. Ideally, the candidate would also have experience in musical theatre. Starting date: January 2015.
Certified teachers are preferred but experienced teachers without certification will be considered. They offer a competitive hourly salary commensurate with experience.
Founder & Director
Washington Heights and Inwood (WHIN) Music Project, New York City
Sistema Fellow '11
New England Conservatory, Boston
It's easier than ever to join! Click here for our new Online Membership Application with secure online payments via PayPal.
You can also download a paper copy of our MEANYC Membership Application and mail with your payment to Patti Peltz, Membership Chair.